Pages

Welcome to my stash...





Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book Review "Divergent"

I like to read. Now, I say "like," not love because if I loved to read, I would spend all of my time reading and I wouldn't get anything done, so I try ti say "like" so I feel a little more normal. I hope to start writing book reviews each month to let you know what is out there and what's hot and not.
I just read one of the most compelling books for me since "The Hunger Games" (By Suzanne Collins). The book is called DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth. It's a well written story about making choices. One choice changes Tris' life forever. She is thrust into an unknown world and has to quickly acclimate to the new surroundings and people. She has to dig deep to get up the strength to jump off buildings, have knives thrown at her head, and fight off attackers in the middle of the night.
What I loved about this story is that Tris is a very relatable character. She is flawed and knows it. She knows that she doesn't fit in, even though she tries. The Faction she grew up in is quiet, plain and above all selfless. However, Tris knows that she does not think the same way. She is not a selfless person. She tries to be what her parents want her to be but can't. Now that she is sixteen, she will have to choose for herself where she belongs. She has five options.
Once Tris chooses her Faction, she must face the initiation process which proves to be more than she can bear. She tries to be strong and show her faction that she is brave, but so many obstacles get in her way, including a new love.
This book kept me guessing (which is very hard to do) and I wanted more. I stayed up until after 2am to finish reading it and when it was over, I wanted to start over again.
As a mother, I also liked that the book was not vulgar in any way. There is no swearing and "sex" is only a mention and is not part of the story. I have a teenage son that I would gladly let read this book. I think it is a great, clean book for teens!
If you liked the adventure, mystery, and romance of "The Hunger Games," you won't be disappointed with "Divergent!" The sequel; "Insurgent" will be released May 1, 2012- I look forward to that book review as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment